One of the top requested services I provide in my handywoman services is furniture assembly. The list predominately includes:
- Adirondack chairs
- Deck boxes
- Closet organizers
- Microwave stands
Furniture Assembly Pros and Cons
- Easy to transport from the store
- Typically, less expensive than pre-assembled furniture
- Can be assembled by the consumer with basic tools and no professional assistance.
- Quality can vary and some pieces may be less durable than pre-assembled furniture.
- Assembly can be time-consuming and frustrating for some.
- Instructions may be unclear or missing, causing difficulty in assembly.
I’m sure everyone has some sort of furniture they’ve had to assemble, whether it’s an Ikea PAX wardrobe or, a dresser or a small stand.
Regardless of what you attempt to assemble, there are a few things to keep in mind;
- Read the instructions in full before you start.
- Don’t use too much force.
- Have a clear and level working area.
- Take your time.
- Check your progress as you go.
Tools To Help You Be Successful in Furniture Assembly
If you’re going to be assembling more than one time, I recommendation being prepared and invest in your success. Normally, it is recommend to have a screwdriver, a set of pliers and hammer. I recommend the following items to help make the process easier:
- Battery powered screwdriver
- Varied set of driver bits
- Light weight hammer
- Container for screws and parts
- A drop cloth
The battery powered screwdriver and the driver bits are by far the most important to make furniture assembly easier. Most driver bit sets have hex shaped bits; that is what you will use instead of the Allen key provided with the kit.
With all the things I’ve assembled over the years, my least favourite has to be soft sided shelters like car shelters. The primary reason I’m not fond of them is it’s a 2-person job. I have yet to figure out how to attach the upper supports on my own. Most other items that suggest a 2-person assembly can be completed solo.
My most favourite assembly was not a furniture assembly but was an 8’x12’ garden shed. You can see a video of the assembly highlights. It was a very rewarding assembly to be sure. The only portion that needed a second person was putting the roof panels on.
Steps to assemble a garden shed
Final Thoughts on Furniture Assembly
Assembling furniture can be a challenging task, but with patience, the right tools, and a calm approach, it can be a rewarding experience. Don’t forget, once you complete your assembly, be sure to take a moment and appreciate what you have accomplished.
Share your experience
I’d love to hear your thoughts and experiences about todays topic. Feel free to share your ideas and join the conversation! I look forward to hearing from you.